Monday, June 29, 2015

Frustration and this week's sketches

I won't say much, but I'm really at the point of losing all steam and the vision of making comics. If relying solely on talent is a good thing, then I've got something to say about that, THAT'S NOT TRUE! Any kid has potential, it's persistence that wins out. Your talent is nothing if you don't do anything with it, or give up when things don't work out. And that's what I've been losing, persistence. I know I still don't want to give up, but making stories has been troubling lately. Heck, I think I see why artists collaborate with writers, story-telling is NOT easy, let alone, writing.

Sorry about that rant. I've found it frustrating that I'm more into drawing fanart, rather than my original stuff. And that was something I didn't want to come to grips with. And it explains the small amount of sketches I've done. I started drawing out of frustration, and found some things that baffle me.
This thing was probably an older doodle. I can't seem to remember though. I think I was listening to some "Mystery Skulls" music, and thought it'd be cool making a short flash animation of Asmod and Ethelmay in urban get-up rocking out to the steady beat of the music. It was an excuse to draw a gangsta Asmod. 
The drawing down here, is the result of my frustration also. I started taking anatomy and "correct posing" so seriously that I scrapped it and did another one. One that had little regard, and for some reason, I actually like the second one more. Then something clicked, and I remembered an journal article by Elson Wong (AKA "Darkspeeds" on deviantart) wrote while he was working on a commission. Anatomy and reference materials don't dictate and replace, but help with getting the right result. So it's natural that ultra-realistic anatomy doesn't look right on a Sonic character, or in my case, characters for Eruti.

And then there's this, something I doodled when there was only 12-15 minutes left before leaving for work, all because I wasted time perusing the comics and manga section at the bookstore. I really do like the strong lines from my Bristol pen, though I still can't get control over it. This was me being spontaneous for a change, and actually embracing my ugly art.

No comments:

Post a Comment